A FAMILY BUSINESS ROOTED IN NATURE
Glass Resort provides premium accommodation in Santa Claus Village in Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland.
Glass Resort is nestled amidst the natural beauty of the Arctic Circle, far away from everyday worries. Yet the activities, attractions and services of Santa Claus Village lie only a minute’s walk away.
Northern nature constantly present
The Premium Glass Apartments offer a luxurious alternative to enjoying the spectacular northern skies and natural phenomena like the Aurora Borealis, relaxing in a hot tub or snuggling in bed.
– Nature gives us a place to calm down and get active. It’s also the source of ingredients for our food and building materials. It’s present in all that we do and are, and that’s what makes Lapland unique, says Glass Resort CEO, mr. Petri Palkinen.
Pure northern nature unfolds from the doorstep in Glass Resort: its soothing effect can be felt not only outdoors, but inside the apartments through the large window walls.
The world’s cleanest air has been measured in Lapland.
– Our guests love the forest around, the peacefulness that gives a chance to relax and take deep breaths of fresh air – to seize the moment. I’ve heard the phrase “wish we could stay longer” more than once, Palkinen muses.
Inspired by the Sámi
The shape of the glass structures is inspired by Lapland’s classic “kota” huts, designed and used by the indigenous Sámi people who lead a nomadic reindeer herder lifestyle and slept in the portable tepee-like dwellings.
Palkinen’s initial idea for Glass Resort designs sprung from family history: his great grandparents were Sámi reindeer herders.
– I wanted to honour their legacy and respect for nature with a modern version of the “kota”, he says.
Architect Paolo Caravello of VOID Architechture embraced the idea.
– The intent was to let guests experience the comfort and charm of the design while, at the same time, being visually connected to the nature outside, he says.
The dialogue between past and present was a central theme when designing Glass Resort.
– To understand our time is to understand and learn from what has been done before us. By reinterpreting themes and traditions inspired by history and local culture, we can continue developing the work that others have done before us, Caravello concludes.
Service-oriented family business
Glass Resort is a family business priding itself on a warm and cosy atmosphere and personal customer service. All guests are perceived as individuals with unique priorities when holidaying.
Flexibility, language skills and natural presence are keywords among staff members. Guests’ special days, as well as special needs and requirements are considered an intrinsic part of running the establishment.
– I think it comes down to the fact that we’re genuinely interested in our guests and want to make sure that every individual gets the full Glass Resort experience, Palkinen sums up.
Enjoy a premium stay at Glass Resort in Rovaniemi, the official hometown of Santa Claus in Lapland, Finland.